I have reviewed several Chinese-made Li-Ion battery packs and although
some are pretty good, the typical BMS that I see will not prevent from
over-charging a cell, they typically only have a "bypass resistor when
the cell is full" which is supposed to work well as long as most cells
are well-balanced, but if cells are out of balance the charger will push
much more current into the pack than the bypass can handle, so cell(s)
do get over-charged in such a situation.
Also I am not sure that there is a per-cell low voltage monitoring, I
think the output simply turns off when the *pack* gets too low, which
usually means that one or more cells are already "dead".
On top of that, some packs are assembled from reject cells. I once had
ordered several 10Ah 4-series packs and several of them were severely
out of balance, one of the packs even had a cell at 0V.
I have been able by careful and slow charging to resuscitate that cell
and am still using the pack in a low current application (vehicle light)
but I can see from the balancing that I have to do that this cell is
permanently having a much higher self-discharge than the other cells in
the same pack.
Now, try to fast-charge such a pack with the simple BMS that does a low
current bypass and you can see where that leads....

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.