On 7 Mar 2016 at 10:33, Peter C. Thompson via EV wrote:

> it likely will void any UL guarantees.

You would know more than I about UL guarantees -- I had no idea such a thing
existed -- but I suppose that adding a cord and plug to a device meant to be
directly wired would affect its UL certification.

It would also contradict the manufacturer's installation instructions, and
that's an NEC violation right there.

Again, though, the chance of any real consequences from this is pretty
small.  And as far as ignoring installation directions, does anybody you
know actually torque the terminal screws to the device manufacturer's
specifcations?  :-\

Nor do I see much hazard in adding a cord and plug.  One big caution though -
- make sure your cord is properly protected with a strain relief where it
exits the charger (EVSE, whatever).

As an aside, a few years ago, I saw an "installation" where some yahoo had
connected zip cord to a light fixture, drywall-screwed the fixture to the
house wall with the cord jammed under its canopy, and plugged the cord into
a receptacle.  (At least he used a plug, instead of running the cord under
the receptacle's faceplate.)  When I removed the fixture, I found that the
edge of the canopy had cut into the wire over the years it had been there.
Good thing it was touching copper only on the neutral side!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator