We used waterbed heaters under the packs in the Silver Bullet without any
issues for more than 4 years, setting 8 consecutive records.
Found them to be very durable. Not sure that I would place the same amount
of faith in a electric blanket, as the conductors are not very well
protected under the fabric.
As for running the heater from batteries, I am of the opinion that we only
needed to heat the pack during storage and prior to the first run down the
track ( the hard discharge and quick recharge warms things up pretty
quick!). After we reached 100 degrees F, the issue rapidly became one of
cooling (dry ice + fans were fairly effective).
Keep up the great work!

-Tom