On 21 Sep 2016 at 2:26, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> GM's Bolt,Volt naming causing Korean confusion> Hangul symbols are
> identical Koreans add to Chevy confusion chorus over Bolt, Volt names

Wasn't the Bolt designed by GM's Korean division (formerly Daewoo)?  You'd
think that someone there would have noticed.  But GM corporate culture may
be a factor, and generally, Koreans don't much speak up against the boss.

This reminds me of the naming of the early 1970s Dodge Demon (later Dart
Sport).  The Demon was Dodge's version of the then-popular Plymouth Duster.
Dodge's suits supposedly got very close to the car's release date before
younger people working on the project suggested that the name "Dodge Beaver"
might have some connotations that they didn't really intend.

Demon was the replacement name.  That one wasn't such a good choice either
as it annoyed some elements of the American religious community, but that's
another story.

And probably everyone here has heard the tale of the Chevrolet Nova in South
America ("Nova" supposedly means "Won't go").  That one's not true, though.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

No matter what they call it, the Bolt (or Bolt EV) has prompted other
manufacturers to push their range too.  Even if its name (or price, or
whatever) keeps its sales down, it will still have accomplished something
for EVs -- not what I ever expected to see from GM.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator