You can't use standard heavy panels.  You must use cells configured properly
and self encapsulate using special plastic heat shrink and a hot air gun. They
must be integrated into the roof of the vehicle.  I've seen it done.  This is
much lighter and makes for a working solar vehicle.  Encapsulation must be done
or the cells will degrade in the natural environment.  It is also more
aerodynamic to use special encapsulation. A practical solar vehicle can be
manufactured.  It's just a matter of time before it's done. Tesla sponsors the
Cruiser class at the World Solar Challenge.  A future Tesla solar vehicle I bet
is in the planning stages.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Many top Tesla
people were on the Stanford Solar Team.
http://sinovoltaics.com/technology/stella-lux-winner-of-world-solar-challenge-visits-shanghai/
   Lawrence Rhodes