From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Cor van de Water
via EV
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 5:45 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: EV-newswire posts for 20170607

There are generally two different areas of V2G (Vehicle to Grid) that each
have their own characteristics and are totally different in their impacts:

1. would better be called Grid Storage, this is where the grid is supplied
with less generation capacity than what is needed for longer periods of time
so that a storage buffer is needed to be filled during low consumption
periods (nights or morning) and is emptied during the afternoon/evening peak
consumption period, so it is a daily cycling application. This is often done
in conjunction with generation types that cannot be controlled such as wind
and solar, they might deliver enough energy to balance the daily need, but
not always at every point in time, hence the need for buffering. But the
same thing can be designed using traditional generation that has lower
capacity than the afternoon/evening peak needed, but which can deliver a
total amount of energy throughout the day to balance daily consumption

2. this would better be called brownout protection or stability control.
There are no large amounts of energy drawn from the battery ever, since the
grid can at any point in time generally deliver enough energy to cover
consumption. But there are short moments when consumption spikes or
generation is switching or starting up, where a short burst of power is
needed to avoid the voltage/frequency dropping below spec. Truly brown-out
protection to bridge over short periods (usually less than 1 second) of high
power bursts.

The second case is very different from the first one.
The first one simply puts extra *full* cycles on the pack, wearing it out
faster.
The second one is virtually not measurable as added cycles, it behaves
similar to a vehicle driving around with regen braking: if you need to slow
down a little and then acclerate, so you put energy back into your battery
for a second and then accelerate again to pull that energy back out - those
micro-cycles are hardly noticeable, especially when done while the pack is
near half-full.
Since V2G allows the *grid* to communicate to the charger to stretch out the
charging of the battery over the time until the car is needed again, it
might actually *prolong* the life of the pack, compared to simply charging
full power as soon as plugged in. So, the second case of V2G might be
beneficial to the EV owner, not just in preserving his battery life, but
also providing a more stable grid and for being *paid* to make (part of) his
battery capacity available for this.
Just my view,
Cor.