Cor van de Water wrote: " Remember that an EVSE has a relay interrupting the
240V supply."
  Is this relay a mechanical relay or a contactor or solid state relay?

________________________________
From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of Cor van de Water via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:01 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] ? Is this really a Smart Fortwo ED EV that burnt to acrisp ?

I looked at the pictures and wondered the same - if the yellow cord was
the connection
between car and EVSE then the only way the EVSE coud set the car on fire
would be burning bits to fall off and somehow reach the car, as most of
the cord appears undamaged.
However, it appears that the coiled yellow cord was enclosed in a
sleeve, the tube-like thingy
that is laying on the ground. So, it is possible that a fire in the EVSE
traveled over the *outside* of
the sleeve and set the last few feet of charging cord on fire, which
then lit the car up.
The weird thing is that the least affected spot on the whole vehicle is
directy under the
charging plug, as that tire appears complete while all other rims have
burned off their tires,
in the front therims are molten as well, so the temps must have been
around 1000 deg C inside the fire.
That is still possible, even if the car was lit up in the back via the
cord, it only takes a light breeze from the back
to cool the back side of an object and drive the flames in the forward
direction...