On 12 Aug 2017 at 11:27, Mike Beem via EV wrote:

> https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2017/Q2/instantly-rechargeable-batter
> y-could-change-the-future-of-electric-and-hybrid-automobiles.html

I'm not an electrochemist, but this sounds to me more like a fuel cell than
a battery.  Sustemic efficiency (or rather the lack of it) is typically the
elephant in the room with most fuel cells.

"... would enable drivers to fill up their electric or hybrid vehicles with
fluid electrolytes to re-energize spent battery fluids much like refueling
their gas tanks."

Ah.  We can end our reliance on buying automotive fuel from the oil
companies, and instead become reliant on buying fuel from a battery-slurry
company.

"The spent battery fluids or electrolyte could be collected and taken to a
solar farm, wind turbine installation or hydroelectric plant for re-
charging."

It could.  Or coal, natural gas, nuclear -- you know, whatever's cheapest.

There's a lot of talk about "refueling" in the piece, but it appears that
the real innovation here is eliminating the fuel cell membrane.  What's not
addressed is who's going to build the refueling facilities and where.  It's
tough enough now finding places to "gas up" an HFCV or even a NGV.  This is
not a trivial problem.

Not to say any of this is impossible, but as with everything else, follow
the money, and as far as I can tell, the big bucks are moving in other
directions -- or, more accurately, concentrating even more where they
already are.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator