http://indonesiaexpat.biz/news/locally-made-electric-cars-ready-testing-end-year-minister/
Locally-made Electric Cars Ready for Testing at End of Year: Minister
Aug 31, 2017  Ardi Wirdana

[image
http://indonesiaexpat.biz/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Electric_Car_recharging-735x400.jpg
(Smart-clone Electric Car assembled from China-made parts)
]

Electric cars developed in the country may be ready to undergo road test at
the end of this year, Technology and Higher Education Minister Mohamad Nasir
said this week.

“The tests will be done at the end of 2017 or start of 2018,” Nasir said at
the Presidential Palace Complex in Jakarta on Wednesday, Aug. 30, as
reported by Kompas.com.

The development of domestically produced electric cars is a long-term dream
of both the government and local industry in an effort to stem a reliance on
imports, however the project had been on hiatus for several years before
being revived last year.

While the locally made electric cars will soon be ready for testing, the
minister said the project is still in need of investors, preferably local

“We don’t want foreign (investors) because we want to compete with other
countries. In this matter, we need to be competitive,” he said.

The car-testing stage, Nasir added, will be immediately followed by the
industry stage, which will see the electric cars be mass-produced. He hopes
investors would come in before the beginning of the testing stage.

Recently, Vice President Jusuf Kalla said the government would welcome and
support any companies interested in investing in the electric car project by
offering incentives in the form of import duty cuts for spare parts required
for manufacturing. The government will also prepare the infrastructure for
the use of electric cars, particularly in the form of adequate electricity
supply, Kalla said.

Previously, Industry Minister Airlangga Hartarto said Indonesia aims to
produce 2 million cars by 2025, 20 percent of which would be electric
vehicles ...
[© Indonesiaexpat.biz]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/