When I was driving my S-10 with 20 6v golf cart batteries (120v pack) I was never able to draw more than 240-300 amps from the battery pack even when the batteries were new. (and the acceleration wasn't great in anything but 1st gear from 0-20mph...)

If your friend's pack is used, 200 amps seems reasonable, especially for a 96v pack, which will probably have even more of a voltage sag than my 120 volt pack.

I definitely recommend upgrading to LiIon (perhaps from a wrecked Leaf pack, which is what I did...)

Jay