http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/12/arvada-veggie-van-vegetables-food-deserts/
An ice cream truck for vegetables: Arvada Veggie Van brings affordable
produce to food deserts
September 15, 2017  Peyton Garcia

[images  / Kathryn Scott
http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/veggie_van_09062017_ks_2875.jpg
Shelley Cook begins her delivery route on the Arvada Veggie Van and helps
some young customers to fresh vegetables on Sept. 6, 2017 in Arvada. The van
is a program created by local nonprofit Ride Provide with support funding
from the city of Arvada and LiveWell Colorado. It brings high-quality,
freshly-picked local produce to neighborhoods throughout the city that are
designated "food deserts."

http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/veggie_van_09062017_ks_2901_inside.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/veggie_van_09062017_ks_2839_cover.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/veggie_van_09062017_ks_2831.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/veggie_van_09062017_ks_2845.jpg
]

“Corn! I love corn! Can I have some corn please?” Jayden Franklin, 4,
begged, turning to his older sister who was examining some peaches from the
Arvada Veggie Van last week.

Jayden and his sister Tessa Seager, 12, were among a few children clutching
crumpled single dollar bills, hungrily eyeing a colorful variety of
vegetables laid out before them.

“It’s surprising how much kids seem to like it. I thought they would be a
hard sell,” said Shelley Cook, who was driving the van. “They like that they
can chase it around on their bike.”

Think ice cream truck, but for vegetables — that’s the idea behind the
veggie van.

While stationary, the “van” looks like a stand that you’d see at a farmers
market, with carefully arranged produce and a banner across the top reading,
“Arvada Veggie Van.” But when it’s on the go, it resembles an elongated golf
cart — except with tomatoes, turnips and squash displayed beautifully where
the clubs might go.

The van makes its way through residential streets in Arvada four days a week
with the incremental “brrrrring” of its bell from 4 to 7 p.m. But the van
doesn’t only deliver vegetables, it brings affordable produce to designated
food deserts — neighborhoods without access to a fresh-produce grocer within
a half-mile and areas that may have higher levels of residents with limited
mobility — throughout the community.

The Arvada Veggie Van is a new project from local nonprofit Ride Provide,
Inc., which started in 2003 providing shuttle services to Arvada residents.
With the imminent completion of the RTD Gold Line, Ride Provide ended its
shuttle services last fall and spent the following months searching for a
way to continue serving the community. Thus, the Veggie Van was born.

“In the basic sense, (we are) providing access and making it easier for
people to eat this great food,” said Cook, who is president of the board of
directors and general manager for Ride Provide.

The concept first came to mind while the nonprofit searched for a new use
for the parcel of land it owns in Olde Town that had been intended for a
Park-n-Ride space. They considered building a mixed-use development that
would include a fresh grocer, but then thought of something better.

“We’re (located) here in this great neighborhood, and we’ve really been able
to get acquainted with it,” Cook said. “Rather than just assume (residents)
can come to our little store, we thought maybe we can go out into the
neighborhoods.”

From there, the pieces started falling into place. Cook stumbled across the
Solar Electric Vehicle Company online and found the idea for a mobile farm
stand.

“It was just a conceptualized drawing … but it really charmed me,” she said
of the online advertisement, which eventually became the Veggie Van.

Then Cook touched base with Jessica Prosser, assistant to the city manager,
who told her the city had just been approved for a grant from LiveWell
Colorado to do a food assessment of the community  and was already
discussing alternative modes of distribution for fresh food.

The city awarded Ride Provide $4,000 of the grant money to design the van.

“It was a fortunate circumstance,” Cook said.

With the help of a few volunteers, the Veggie Van motors through the
community on Wednesdays through Fridays and Sundays. It serves one
neighborhood each day, including the Memorial Park, McIlvoy Park, Creekside
Park and Columbine Park neighborhoods — a few of the areas determined to be
food deserts by the LiveWell food assessment.

The van rolled out on its first route Aug. 1, and with only a few weeks
under its belt, the van already has a dedicated following.

“We listen for your bell every Wednesday!” one customer shouted to Cook last
week as she walked away with a large brown paper bag filled with fresh
produce in the Memorial Park neighborhood.

In addition to providing underserved areas with fresh, local produce, the
Veggie Van teaches customers how to prepare healthy meals.

It’s hard to want to buy vegetables if you don’t know what to do with them,
Prosser said. The Veggie Van offers a new meal kit each week that provides
the customer with a recipe and all the necessary ingredients to make a
fresh, healthy meal.

“I think (the Veggie Van) will definitely benefit the community in terms of
having affordable freshly grown food that people can access easily, but (it
will) also educate adults and children on what you can grow in Arvada … and
how easy it is to prepare vegetables,” Prosser said.

Cook works with local farmers in the community, and most of the vegetables
she sells from the van are picked just hours earlier.

“Everything going out is as fresh as possible,” said Beckie Anderson,
co-owner of Arvada’s Pioneer Farmsteaders, Cook’s primary provider.

Cook has several shares on the 2 acres of open space leased to Anderson and
her husband through the city. As fifth- and fourth-generation farmers, they
grow a variety of organic produce.

“We’re really invested in local produce and supporting small agriculture and
also providing means for people to come see where their food comes from and
to learn more about that process,” Anderson said.

Cook also works with Star Acre Farms and Wheat Ridge’s Four Seasons Farmers
& Artisans Market.

“I’ve really come to appreciate what the local farmers are doing,” she said.
“You don’t often get to see where what you eat is grown.”

Cook said she hopes to continue deliveries through October, but with cold
weather on the way, the van will soon park for the winter ...
[© 2017 Digital First Media]
http://www.solarevco.com/content/vehicles/solar-electric-mobile-farm-stand
Solar Electric Mobile Farm Stand  ... straight from the farm to the local
grocer or farmer's market to ... sell your goods ... solar/battery system
not only provides energy for the vehicle ... run a small cash register,
scale and/or credit card reade ... the solar cells keep charging the vehicle
... (48VDC nEV, Eight 6V batteries, 400A controller, 5.5HP e-Motor, three
500W roof PVs) ...
http://www.solarevco.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/image-large/vehicles/Vegetable_bus_LOW.jpg
http://arvadaveggievan.com/veggie-van-faqs.html
Veggie Van FAQs  What does the ‘van’ look like?  It’s actually a
street-legal neighborhood electric vehicle. It’s similar to an electric golf
cart, open to the air, but modified to allow for the transport, display and
sale of fresh produce ...
http://arvadaveggievan.com/uploads/3/4/8/6/34865763/published/alex-and-cart-stylized.jpg

http://www.electricvehiclesresearch.com/articles/11683/crop-planted-tended-and-harvested-autonomously-in-word-first
Crop planted, tended and harvested autonomously in word first
The ground-breaking Hands Free Hectare (HFHa), run by Harper Adams
University and Precision Decisions, which aimed to be the first in the world
to plant, tend and harvest a crop with only autonomous vehicles and drones,
has come to an end after a successful harvest …
http://idtxs3.imgix.net/si/20000/6E/04.jpg?w=1024

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.neocities.org}