Steve Clunn via EV wrote:
If the charger is only putting out half it's normal amperage it my be it's
full wave bridge is half burned out.   Steve Clunn

That's a good call. Easy to check (and fix).

While we're on the subject... The K&W BC20 is a good charger. Not a great one; but much better than most consumer grade lead-acid battery chargers. It has a GFCI for safety. It regulates the charging current and voltage, and has the necessary fuses, cooling fan, temperature compensation, and overtemperature shutdown. It is over 95% efficient; higher than many modern chargers. It is well built, small, and light weight.

However, it is not isolated. It is not power factor corrected; indeed, its phase control circuitry works exactly like the dimmer in your dining room lights. That can generate a "buzz" in AM radios, and makes AC cords and plugs run hotter.

If I were in Mary's situation, I'd fix it rather than replace it. It's a simple design, and uses normal easy-to-get parts. Unless it's gotten wet or been dropped down a flight of stairs, it's likely to be cheaper to repair it than replace it.

In computing, the mean time to failure keeps getting shorter. (Alan Perlis)
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (