The USPS has flirted with EVs off and on since the 1970s.  They've run
pilots and prototypes.  I remember an AMC-made Jeep body conversion in the
1970s.  In the the early 1980s, the infamous ill-fated Commuter Vehicles
postal vans went far wide of the USPS's requirements, essentially putting
the final nails in CVI's coffin.  Also in the early 80s were rather nice
boxy prototype postal vehicles built by either AM General or Grumman (I
forget which) and based on the VW Rabbit; at least some of these were fitted
with an EV drivetrain.

In the  early 2000s the USPS had a small and IIRC rather short-lived affair
with postal vehicles using Grumman LLV bodies on Ford Ranger EV pickup
chassis (the current ICE LLV uses an old Chevrolet S10 chassis design, and
gets an excruciating 9mpg).  The Ford-based EV LLVs I think were deployed
only in California.  Maybe Bruce remembers more about these, and will
correct any errors I've made.

None of these trial programs has ever led to serious EV adoption by the
USPS.  They seemed to be more window dressing than anything, and I also
heard rumors of outright sabotage by their mechanics (this has happened with
many corporate EV fleet tests in the past).

The USPS wants a $25-35k price tag for this new delivery vehicle.  I can't
imagine the one described here coming in anywhere near that, especially
since it isn't a pure BEV, but rather a true series hybrid, with a small
onboard range-extension genset.

I may be making too many assumptions, but despite what they say, I don't
really think the USPS's top brass want EVs.  So I have some doubts that
we'll end up with a BEV or even a true hybrid delivering our mail.  But we
can hope.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator