http://revolution-green.com/samsungs-graphene-balls-see-smartphones-charge-5-times-faster-electric-cars/
Samsung’s Graphene Balls Could See Smartphones Charge 5 Times Faster
-Electric Cars?
Nov 30, 2017  Agcat

[image  /  Nick Lavars
https://img.newatlas.com/samsung-graphene-balls-1.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&fit=crop&h=347&q=60&rect=0%2C14%2C1280%2C720&w=616&s=3c19bfc23734c58b2d90faac5c1b3e68
Graphene
]

Solid-State Magnesium-Ion Batteries Could Lick Lithium

Samsung’s Graphene Balls Could See Smartphones Charge 5 Times Faster
-Electric Cars?.  Scientists from the Samsung Advanced Institute of
Technology (SAIT) are reporting a breakthrough that could greatly boost the
capacity of lithium-ion batteries, while enabling them to charge five times
faster. The advance centers around graphene, and could one day lead to
electric cars, phones and laptops that spend a lot less time plugged into a
socket. Graphene. You know may know it as that wonder material that promises
to change the way we build roads, craft smartphone screens, kill bacteria or
even keep our feet cool. Composed of a one-atom thick sheet of carbon,
graphene is thin and highly flexibility, strength and chemical stability. It
also conducts electricity 100 times more effectively

The Samsung team says that based on its research, a full lithium-ion battery
incorporating its graphene balls could cut charging times from more than an
hour to just 12 minutes

Scientists from the Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) are
reporting a breakthrough that could greatly boost the capacity of
lithium-ion batteries, while enabling them to charge five times faster. The
advance centers around graphene, and could one day lead to electric cars,
phones and laptops that spend a lot less time plugged into a socket.

Graphene. You know may know it as that wonder material that promises to
change the way we build roads, craft smartphone screens, kill bacteria or
even keep our feet cool. Composed of a one-atom thick sheet of carbon,
graphene is thin and highly flexibility, strength and chemical stability. It
also conducts electricity 100 times more effectively than copper and moves
electrons 140 times faster than silicon (good for fast-charging).

These attributes have drawn the attention of scientists searching for
materials that can take lithium-ion batteries to the next level. And some
promising advances have been made, with researchers mixing graphene with
other materials like silicon, copper and asphalt to produce batteries that
demonstrate significant performance leaps in the lab.

Now, scientists at SAIT, together with a team from the Seoul National
University’s School of Chemical and Biological Engineering, have come up
with a way of mixing graphene with silica to produce popcorn-like balls of
graphene through a process called chemical vapor deposition. These great
balls of graphene were used as a material for the anode and where also
uniformly coated onto the nickel-rich cathode as a protective layer. This
layer serves the purpose of both containing nasty side reactions and
offering extra conductive pathways.

The team says that based on its research, a full lithium-ion battery
incorporating graphene balls in this way could cut charging times from more
than an hour to just 12 minutes. It should also enable a 45 percent boost in
capacity and maintain a highly stable temperature of 60 degree Celsius (140
° F). Stable operating temperatures are a key concern when it comes to
powering electric vehicles.

“Our research enables mass synthesis of multifunctional composite material
graphene at an affordable price,” said Dr. Son In-hyuk, who led the research
on behalf of SAIT. “At the same time, we were able to considerably enhance
the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries in an environment where the
markets for mobile devices and electric vehicles is growing rapidly. Our
commitment is to continuously explore and develop secondary battery
technology in light of these trends.”
[© revolution-green.com]

Graphene balls for lithium rechargeable batteries with fast charging and
high volumetric energy densities
16 November 2017  Improving one property without sacrificing others is
challenging for lithium-ion batteries due to the trade-off nature among key
parameters. Here we report a chemical vapor deposition process to grow a
graphene–silica assembly, called a graphene ball ...
https://media.springernature.com/m685/springer-static/image/art%3A10.1038%2Fs41467-017-01823-7/MediaObjects/41467_2017_1823_Fig1_HTML.jpg
https://newatlas.com/solid-state-magnesium-battery/52386/
Solid-state magnesium-ion batteries could lick lithium
Magnesium-ion batteries have potential if scientists can crack the problem
of finding an efficient electrolyte. Now scientists have developed a
solid-state material that appears to be one of the fastest conductors of
magnesium-ions, which could lead to safer and more efficient batteries ...

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/

{brucedp.neocities.org}