I agree with Tom. As EV are slowly adopted, the grid will find ways to adapt. Always will and always has.

My state electric utility has asked customers to volunteer (with a nice cash incentive) to put "black boxes" on their air conditioning loads and electric water heaters. The boxes turn off these loads, under the command of the utility, for a few minutes during peak load periods. With the thermal inertia, you never notice your A/C was off for a few extra minutes.
Shaves the tops right off the peak loads on the grid quite nicely.
Little black boxes under remote control are the cheap solution. Everyone wins.

I would imagine that when EV charging loads become significant, they will do the same thing. It would be stupid not to. Only makes sense. Costs very little and you leave the grid pretty much the same. Utilities love it. You sell more kWhrs using the identical generation and distribution equipment. No upgrades whatsoever. Only folks that volunteer have to do it, and save a bit of money. Everyone wins.
Simple simple. What's not to like?

The "grid overload" is simply a scare tactic campaign paid for by folks that will stand to lose by adoption of EVs. (Koch brothers?)

Bill D.