From: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "EVDL Administrator" <evp...@drmm.net>
Sent: 11-Feb-18 12:06:25 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Halbach near-monopole e-motor> Focused Magnetics

We're not talking about academic research here.  This is a for-profit
enterprise.  They want investors.

Obviously I'm not a company insider or "stakeholder," just a skeptic; nor am I an engineer or physicist, so I can't speak to the Halbach related claims.

However, let's envision one possible scenario.

Suppose you could reduce losses in a motor from (say) 4% to 2%.  You've
halved the losses, so you've doubled the efficiency, no?

Well, it all depends on how you define it. If your power input to the motor is 100 Watts, the old version produced 96W of output. The new one produces 98W of output. That's 2.1% higher (2/96) output. Doesn't sound quite as impressive as "doubling the efficiency," does it? Which one do you think a salesman, or a PR person, or a "journalist" looking for a clickbait story
that willl "go viral," is going to quote?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator