http://wuwm.com/post/chevrolet-bolt-aims-strike-new-consumers-electric-vehicle-market#stream/0
Chevrolet Bolt Aims to Strike New Consumers into the Electric Vehicle Market
Feb 13, 2018  Dan Harmon

[image
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wuwm/files/styles/medium/public/201802/GettyImages-631320450.jpgThe
all-electric Chevrolet Bolt EV is shown on stage after it won the Car of the
Year Award at the 2017 North American International Auto Show on January 9,
2017 in Detroit, Michigan
 / Bill Pugliano / Stringer / Getty Images News

audio
https://cpa.ds.npr.org/wuwm/audio/2018/02/0213c.mp3
Listen 14:04  Lake Effect automotive contributor Dan Harmon with Todd
Bruder, lead development engineer for the Chevrolet Bolt
]

[*]
General Motors’ entry into the zero emissions vehicle landscape started more
than 20 years ago with its EV1 project.  The effort was, by most accounts,
successful.  But the vehicles were all leased, and when the leases ran out,
they were all returned to Chevrolet and unceremoniously destroyed.
[*]

More recently, though, Chevrolet has gotten more positive publicity with its
latest low emission vehicles – the Volt, the Spark electric, and now, the
zero emissions Bolt.  2017 was the first consumer model year for the Bolt,
and it has attracted attention in dealerships and at the Chicago Auto Show,
where Lake Effect automotive contributor Dan Harmon caught up with Todd
Bruder, the lead development engineer for Chevy’s Bolt project.

Bruder notes the development of the Bolt focused on three key areas:
usability (interior space and efficiency of space), a price range below
$30,000, and the mileage range of an electric charge.

"We had a goal of a minimum of 200 miles when we started this," he explains.
"That was the range we knew would start to get people interested and move
from a non-EV vehicle into an EV vehicle."

While the technology has evolved since the EV1 days, Bruder says the
company’s current efforts build on that earlier work. "Having the people
around that have gone through some of the earlier phases of electrification
has been helpful."

Apart from the longest charge range, Chevy's goal for the Bolt was to make
it drive and feel as comfortable as possible to someone who is new to the
electric vehicle space, but also include features that would excite an EV
enthusiast.

Bruder believes they accomplished that goal. "It's the greatest car I've
ever worked on. It's the most exciting car I've ever worked on and it's the
most fun to drive."
[© wuwm.com]

+
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/18/evs-can-actually-save-time-depending-driving-circumstances/
Electric Cars Often Actually Save Owners Time
February 18th, 2018  Some critics try to bash electric vehicles as being a
drag to drive because of the misguided notion that they require a lot of
extra time to operate/charge. The charging time, and especially the
challenge when driving longer distances, is one thing they typically point
to as a downside of electric cars. However, that ignores the ...
https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/02/Home-EV-Charging-Report-1-570x442.png

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/