On 04/17/2018 01:21 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:
Hi Jay,
I have a 1994 US Electricar S10 factory conversion that is expecting a standard
120 - 240 AC input at 13 Amps
and all I had to do to add public charging was to add a J1772 inlet plus a
diode and resistor on the pilot input.
The current draw ia always less than public charging is offering
Yes, if the existing chargers support the full 120-240 range and you only need a relatively low number of amps you can rig up a circuit to "engage" a J1772 EVSE and save a good amount of money (although the inlets are not cheap....).

I wanted the ability to charge quickly if the extra power was avaliable, and like the fact that the EVCC can detect the max amp draw from the pilot signal and dial in the chargers to match. (There was one time where a public EVSE only gave me 3.3 kW instead of the full 4 my chargers could support, as it was a 2 output "shared" charger.)

Jay