On 24 Sep 2018 at 18:15, ROBERT via EV wrote:

> Sorry misspelling.  Chrysler not Crystal.

Got it, thanks.  I should have recognized that, and might have if I'd looked
at the subject line.  :-\

Presumably you're thinking of the TEVan (early 1990s) and the EPIC (mid-late
1990s).

Half the TEVans had 180ah Saft nickel cadmium batteries, the other half had
200ah Eagle-Picher nickel-iron batteries. Not many were sold, but some are
still running around.  Others were apparently scrapped, and now and then you
come across someone offering the NiCd or NiFe batteries from them for sale.

The EPIC had Saft NiMH batteries. Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I
think Saft was one of only 2 companies (Gold Peak was the other) that
grabbed licenses from Ovonic before Ovonic slammed the door on anyone making
NiMH modules big enough to use in real EVs, a license term that should have
been criminal.  Wikipedia says that some EPICs had lead batteries, but I've
never found corroboration for that.   I think the EPIC was only leased, not
sold. No idea where any of them are now. Probably in scrap yards.

Both were factory (EPTO, Electric Power Train Option) conversions of the
short wheelbase Dodge Caravan / Plymouth Voyager vans.

As a point of trivia, EPIC originally stood for Electric Powered INTRAurban
Commuter, NOT INTERurban Commuter, as is usually stated.  I remember reading
an article about the EPIC back in the mid-1990s that took pains to point out
the difference.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/intra-

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/inter-

Chrysler meant that it was an EV for use within the city, not between
cities, hence "intraurban."

But I guess the Chryser PR and advertising people didn't know the difference
between the words, or didn't care.  Presumably whomever coined the name
didn't bother to correct them, or couldn't, so it became "interurban."  But
now at least YOU know, in case you're a language geek too.  :-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator