From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> On Behalf Of brucedp5 via EV
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2018 2:12 AM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: brucedp5 <bruce...@juno.com>
Subject: [EVDL] EVtax: $150yr> unfair, punitive, nil-revenue, EVs=
easy-target

[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVtax-150yr-75yr-for-pih-hevs-in-MS-v-tp4691385.html
]

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=69145
An unfair tax?: Drivers take issue with hybrid/electric car fees; lawmakers
claim they are reasonable in face of road, bridge crisis October 13, 2018
Slim Smith

[image]  Julie Carpenter of Columbus stands with the Toyota hybrid she has
owned for two years. She learned last month she must pay an additional $75
annual fee to the state for owning the car to help fund an Emergency Road
and Bridge measure the Legislature passed in the August special session.
Owners of fully electric vehicles will pay $150 each year. Photo by: Chris
Jenkins/Special to The Dispatch

When Mike Buehler received a notice from the Mississippi Department of
Revenue a week ago that he would be required to pay a fee for driving his
2014 Tesla each year, he bit his lip and did a little research before
forming an opinion.

The verdict?
"It's unfair," the Starkville radiologist said.

That opinion is likely shared by many of the 15,281 people who received
similar notices last week informing them of the new fees assessed to drivers
of electric and hybrid cars. For hybrids that use both fuel and electric
power, the fee is $75 annually. For electric cars that use no fuel, it's
$150.

Owners of hybrid or electric cars will pay the fees at their county tax
collector's office each year when they renew their license plate tag.

Unlike tag renewal fees, which go to fund city and county governments and
local schools, all of the fees from the hybrid/electric car tax will go to
the state's Emergency Road and Bridge Fund, which the Legislature
established during a special session in August. The fees were included with
that legislation.

The measure earned near unanimous support, passing 110-4 in the House and
48-3 in the Senate. Every member of the Golden Triangle's legislative
delegation favored the bill.

"I did receive some emails and text messages expressing dissatisfaction with
the fees, but given the dire needs of our roads and bridges, the fees seem
reasonable to me," said state Sen. Angela Turner Ford (D-West Point).

Hybrid/electric car fees will make up a minute portion of the Emergency Road
and Bridge Fund, which lawmakers hope will produce an extra $110 million for
the state's roads and bridges each year. The bulk of that will come from
bonded debt and revenue from a state lottery -- both of which also passed
during the special session.

The new fund will supplement road and bridge money the state already
receives from an 18-percent fuel tax drivers in the state pay at the pump.
The hybrid/electric fees served as an alternative to increasing the fuel
tax.

"I'll be honest, some of these hybrids get such good gas mileage that
something was needed for them to pay their fair share," said state Sen.
Chuck Younger (R-Columbus). "My preference all along was to raise the fuel
tax, so really, as far as this part of it went, I could take it or leave it.
I think it's fair. Overall, we had to get something done and I don't think
anybody was going to let the (hybrid/electric fee) get in the way of that."

'It's definitely punitive'

Although the legislation was passed in August, many of those affected by the
fees weren't aware until they received their notice from the Department of
Revenue in September.

Columbus Realtor Julie Carpenter was among that group.

"I had no idea," said Carpenter, who has been driving her Toyota hybrid for
two years. "I was shocked that I was going to be taxed for trying to be
environmentally friendly. I hope they don't find out I'm buying broccoli and
cauliflower and spinach. I might get taxed for trying to eat healthy, too."

Buehler said while he understands the stated purpose of the fee -- to ensure
that hybrid and electric car drivers pay their share for maintaining roads
and bridges -- he feels it is too high for those who drive electric cars.

"I understand that electric car drivers don't pay the fuel tax that other
people pay," Buehler said. "So I wanted to do the numbers and see what they
told me."

Buehler estimated that his 2014 Tesla, if converted to gasoline, would
average 50 miles per gallon. Based on his driving habits, he said he drives
12,000 miles per year, which would be 240 gallons per year. The state's 18.2
percent fuel tax would mean he would pay $43.68 in fuel taxes.

"But instead of that, I'll be paying $150 a year," Buehler said. "That's
about $100 more than I would pay if I were driving a gasoline car. It's
definitely punitive."

Carpenter agrees.

"I don't think people should be punished for trying to be fuel efficient,"
she said. "I drive a lot, so for me, buying a hybrid was a way to save
money. But the other part is that I did want to be environmentally friendly.
I don't feel like the state should be discouraging that. I'm disappointed."

'Not enough revenue to make much of a difference'

Buehler said he wonders why hybrid and electric car owners were singled out
in the special session, especially when Kathy Waterbury, associate
commissioner for the Mississippi Department of Revenue, said the
hybrid/electric car fees will produce a little more than $1 million in
revenue annually.

"That's not even 1 percent of the funding they set up," Buehler said. "I
don't understand how this even came up."

He's not alone.

State Rep. Jeff Smith (R-Columbus) chairs the House Ways and Means Committee
that helps tailor funding bills as they pass through the Legislature.

In the case of the hybrid/electric fees, Smith said, Gov. Phil Bryant was
adamant they be part of the Emergency Road and Bridge Fund bill.

"Normally, any bill that comes through my committee, I've had some hand in
putting together," Smith said. "It wasn't that way with this bill. Gov.
Bryant, the speaker (of the House Phillip Gunn) and the lieutenant governor
(Tate Reeves) put this bill together and gave it to us at the start of the
special session.

"I hadn't heard anybody talking about that idea," he added. "It was totally
the governor's idea. I love the governor to death, but I'm not sure why he
wanted these fees. It doesn't really raise enough revenue to make much of a
difference."

Smith said Bryant originally wanted the state to charge $150 for hybrids and
$300 for electric cars.

"We did get him to come off that number, but something else that we failed
to do was provide an exemption for disabled veterans, which is what we do
for regular license fees," Smith said. "That's something we'll have to fix
in January."

Buehler said he believes the fees only reinforce the state's reluctance to
support alternate forms of energy, noting that Mississippi rarely offers
incentives for solar, wind and other emerging forms of energy.

"Let's face it, we're a small group of people who own electric cars, so
we're a pretty easy target," he said. "There's not much of anything we can
do about it. I think they know that."
[© cdispatch.com]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/