I've seen them on Ebay in the 800$ range so that price doesn't seem unreasonable (but that might just be yours.....)

If I needed a controller NOW to replace the one in my truck, I might pay $800, but would feel better about the 600-700 range. (But then again, I might spend $1300 to upgrade to a more powerful controller that wouldn't die like the last Curtis ;>)

This is the one I have currently have my eye on if I need a replacement:
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=451
http://www.zeva.com.au/index.php?product=120

The main value to the Curtis that it is a drop in / bolt on replacement for the unit that I currently have, so I wouldn't have to add a water cooling loop, etc......the down side is that they are old technology, and modern controllers are more robust and offer better power and more configuration options in the same sized package.

To buy a hot spare just to keep on hand I would pay $250-350 now.

So I guess it depends upon if you are waiting for a motivated buyer, or if you want to sell it within 30 days.

Jay