Hello Bruce and all,

I was thinking that another tactic to counter the publicity of the EV fires
is to share data about vehicle fires in general, and compare that with fire
data of electric vehicles. It might start with a table like this one from
the NFPA (the same folks that prove the code books for our electrical
codes).
Just a thought...

-Tom True

   1. News & Research <https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research>
   2. Data, research, and tools
   <https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools>
   3. ARCHIVED
   <https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools/ARCHIVED>
   4. Fire statistics

<https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools/ARCHIVED/Fire-statistics>
   5. Vehicles

<https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Data-research-and-tools/ARCHIVED/Fire-statistics/Vehicle-fires>
   6. Highway vehicle fires by year

Highway vehicle fires

*Direct Property Damage(in Billions)*

*Year*

*Fires*

*CivilianDeaths*

*CivilianInjuries*

*As Reported*

*In 2015 Dollars*

1980

456,000

650

2,850

$0.5

$1.3

1981

453,000

770

2,900

$0.5

$1.3

1982

433,000

575

3,250

$0.5

$1.3

1983

435,500

670

3,400

$0.6

$1.4

1984

437,000

530

3,250

$0.6

$1.4

1985

437,000

770

3,250

$0.7

$1.5

1986

438,000

665

2,850

$0.7

$1.5

1987

451,000

755

2,900

$0.7

$1.5

1988

459,000

800

2,750

$0.8

$1.6

1989

415,500

560

2,750

$0.8

$1.5

1990

415,000

645

3,025

$0.8

$1.5

1991

406,500

530

2,675

$0.8

$1.4

1992

385,500

665

2,750

$0.8

$1.4

1993

402,000

540

2,400

$0.9

$1.4

1994

402,000

555

2,325

$1.0

$1.5

1995

386,000

490

2,275

$1.0

$1.6

1996

395,000

550

2,075

$1.1

$1.7

1997

377,000

450

1,950

$1.1

$1.6

1998

358,500

545

2,050

$1.1

$1.6

1999

345,000

450

1,600

$1.1

$1.6

2000

325,000

450

1,325

$1.2

$1.6

2001

327,000

470

1,750

$1.3

$1.7

2002

307,000

540

1,700

$1.2

$1.6

2003

286,000

455

1,400

$1.1

$1.4

2004

266,500

520

1,300

$1.0

$1.2

2005

259,000

500

1,450

$1.0

$1.3

2006

250,000

445

1,075

$1.0

$1.2

2007

227,500

365

1,500

$1.1

$1.2

2008

207,000

350

850

$1.2

$1.3

2009

190,500

260

1,455

$1.0

$1.2

2010

184,500

285

1,440

$1.0

$1.1

2011

187,500

270

1,020

$1.0

$1.1

2012

172,500

300

800

$1.3

$1.1
     2013       164,000            300           925            $1.1
$1.1
     2014       167,500            310           1,275            $1.1
        $1.1
     2015       174,000            445           1,550            $1.2
        $1.2

Highway vehicles include any vehicle designed to operate normally on
highways, such as automobiles, motorcycles, buses, trucks, and trailers,
but not manufactured homes on foundations.

Direct property damage figures do not include indirect losses, like
business interruption.
Inflation adjustment to 2015 dollars is done using the consumer price index.

Source: *Fire Loss in the United States*
<http://www.nfpa.org/research/statistical-reports/overall-fire-statistics/fire-loss-in-the-united-states>
* 2015*, Hylton J. G. Haynes, NFPA, September 2016 and previous reports in
the series.

*Updated 9/16*

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 4:25 AM brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> [dated]
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Uncontrolled-downhill-Tesla-crashed-ignited-elderly-couple-s-garage-home-red-tagged4-8mo-tp4687809.html
> Uncontrolled downhill Tesla crashed& ignited elderly couple's garage> home
> red tagged4 8mo
> Tesla Crashes Into Lake Forest Home, Igniting Fire
> Aug 26, 2017 ... A Tesla slammed into a Lake Forest home sparking a
> destructive house fire ...
> Aug 27, 2017
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=tesla+fire+Lake+Forest&days=0
> evdl archive search
>

> [ref
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Tesla-on-fire-on-youtube-tp4692706.html
> (Rush's post)
> ]
>
> [video  dated
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFM9JJMH_0
> Tesla Model X Fire (Lake Forest, California)
> Real World Police  Dec 4, 2018
> [The title of this video initially identified the vehicle a a Tesla Model
> S.
> I have since been informed that it is a Model X.]
>
> In this video we take a  brief foray into the toasty side of things.
>
> At 6:15 pm on August 25th, 2017 a man in his mid-30s driving a Tesla Model
> lost control of his car and crashed into the garage of a single-family,
> single story home, taking out a load-bearing beam and starting a raging
> fire.
>
> Approximately 45 minutes to an hour after the initial knockdown and removal
> of the vehicle firefighters noticed the vehicle beginning to off-gas in a
> distinct, heavy, manner. A fog-like smoke was emitting from the car. At
> first firefighters believed that it had the look of a chemical fire, but
> when the Tesla began to emit an orange, jet-like flame something new was
> clearly at play.
>
> The Tesla had been traveling at a high rate of speed when it left the road,
> entering a culvert and violently launching itself into the garage. The
> impact caused tremendous damage and firefighters reported seeing small
> lithium ion batteries scattered about. They were dealing with the thermal
> runaway of the Tesla’s main battery.
>
> A firefighter’s primary tool is water, but water wasn't cutting it for this
> fire. And so, one of the firefighters got out their smartphone and looked
> up
> Tesla’s guide for emergency responders, which informed them of their two
> fairly obvious options: put it out with water, or let it burn. The kicker,
> though was that it could take a LOT of water.
>
> Because this fire was in a residential neighborhood it was decided to try
> extinguishment, and an attack was prepared. Using two hand lines,
> firefighters hit the Tesla with very high flow rates for nearly an hour and
> [...]

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82