On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 3:00 PM Paul Compton via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 04:40, Jan Steinman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
> > Supercaps are currently 1-10 farads or so. A farad can supply an amp for a
> > second.
>
> I think you might be a little out of touch on Supercaps.
>
> I've had a sample Maxwell PC223 8 Farad cap on the shelf for nearly 30 years.
>
> They've been into the multi 1000F range for years.

Yes, but the bigger issue is that they unfortunately drop in
capacitance as you put them in series. So, you either parallel a whole
bunch of them and try to figure out a way to go from 2.5v at thousands
of amps up to some useful voltage or you put them in series and watch
as the capacitance plummets. I don't really know how they plan to get
around this aspect of capacitors. They just aren't that great in
series but you need high voltage for a car. It wouldn't be so bad if
super caps weren't almost exclusively 2.5 to 2.9v rated.