https://www.drivingelectric.com/volkswagen/979/volkswagen-polo-sized-electric-car-front-id-range
Volkswagen Polo-sized electric car to front ID. range

[image
https://cdn.drivingelectric.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_image_desktop/public/2019-03/volkswagen_polo_se.jpg?h=3d108d57&itok=lVzkJo0J
]

The forthcoming Volkswagen ID. electric-car range will feature an
entry-level model similar in size to the Polo supermini

A Volkswagen Polo-sized electric car is in the pipeline, with the German
carmaker planning to use it as an entry-level model for the forthcoming ID.
range.

The car would sit on the Volkswagen Group’s MEB electric-car platform,
despite previous suggestions that MEB would be unable to support vehicles
less than 4.4 metres long.

“It’s sub-Golf size,” said Volkswagen Group chairman Dr Herbert Diess, who
explained the ‘entry family’ would be more compact and cheaper. “It’s being
worked on now. We should expect it around 2023.”

The Volkswagen ID. range is set to launch later this year with the arrival
of the ID. hatchback. An ID. Crozz SUV and ID. Buzz microbus are set to join
Volkswagen’s line-up in the next couple of years, with the MEB platform also
supporting several other new electric cars across VW Group’s brands.

Any Polo-sized electric car would be a rival for the Peugeot e-208 and
Vauxhall eCorsa, both of which are set to arrive in 2019.

However, Volkswagen Group’s board member for technical development, Dr Frank
Welsch, believes the brand's offering is unlikely to arrive any time soon.

“If we speak about MEB entry, I don’t think it would happen before 2023,” he
said, explaining that batteries need to become cheaper to make such a
project profitable.

“It could also be that we go for a different concept, in terms of which
chemistry we use,” he added. “There is lithium-ion like the ID., but also –
maybe not in Europe, but in China – we see LFP (lithium-ion phosphate)
battery tech.

“There are different components in there – no nickel, no cobalt and so on,
which make it cheaper – but today, the specific energy density of that
technology is not competitive.”

Regardless of how battery technology will evolve in the coming years, it
seems likely that an entry-level ID. would use a smaller cell with reduced
range in order to keep prices low.

“But I want to stress, MEB entry is just a discussion,” he added. “We are at
the concept level, looking at feasibility. It’s no use going down from Golf
size to Polo size, and then saying: ‘We’ve saved €50 on the bare chassis.’
We have to look across everything."

Elsewhere, it has been announced that SEAT will develop a range of small,
sub-£17,000 electric cars on behalf of the Volkswagen Group, with a target
launch date of 2023.

The line-up will also be based on the MEB platform, although it’s not clear
yet if SEAT and Volkswagen’s plans are interlinked.
[© drivingelectric.com]

+
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/audi-confirms-a4-sized-e-tron-ev-electric-sedan/
Audi Confirms A4-Sized e-tron GT Electric Sedan
March 26, 2019 ... of an EV push—many more details on which can be found in
our recent report on the state of the brand—and it's now confirmed it will
add an A4-sized electric ...

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/

{brucedp.neocities.org}