https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/kia-niro-ev-review/
The Electrek Review: Kia Niro EV – The new normal…electric family car
May. 7th 2019  Seth Weintraub

[images
https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/Kia-Niro-EV.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/niro-ev.jpeg
Kia Niro EV premium black

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/14911_2019_Niro_EV-1.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/dash-niro-ev.jpg
Kia Niro EV instrument cluster

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/14906_2019_Niro_EV.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_20190422_034726.jpg
2019 Niro EV

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_20190419_150852.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/14904_2019_Niro_EV.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_20190419_151246.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/kia-niro-EV.jpeg
Kia Niro EV front
]

Ever since it was announced, Kia’s Niro EV has been an interesting
proposition. Fred did a fantastic one day first look at the Niro earlier
this year, but I wanted to spend some more quality time with it and throw in
my family for extreme testing.

Our Tesla Model X lease is ending soon and my wife is looking for a
replacement that rides high, has good range, and is all-electric. Obviously
the Model Y makes a lot of sense for us, but it won’t be ready until late
next year and figuring “Elon Time”, ramp up, and first dibs to Californians,
it will probably be well into 2021 before these are rolling out en masse.

A recent trip to the Bay Area to visit relatives provided a good week-plus
opportunity to test the Kia Niro EV with the whole family and without a 240V
home charger…

Niro appearance
First of all, I will say that the Niro outsteps its step cousin the Hyundai
Kona in both form and function. Sure they have a very similar drivetrain and
battery, but the Kia Niro looks a lot more like a crossover or SUV with its
higher stance. That makes significantly more room inside and a better drive
height while only penalizing the range by a few miles (239 miles/charge).
Fred noted that the front grill on the Niro has the charge port which he
disliked. While I’m ambivalent about it ––  it sure beats that faux grill on
the Kona.

The Niro isn’t going to win any design contests, but along with its hybrid
and plug-in hybrid siblings, they don’t exude “weirdmobile” at all either.
In fact it was hard to discern that this was even an electric vehicle from
the back and sides. A lot of people, present company included, like that.

I got the premium black model. I like it.

Kia Niro EV Competition
Besides the aforementioned 2021 Tesla Model Y and Kona EV, I would also put
the Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf e-Plus in the same grouping of long-range
crossover-ish hatchback EVs. As you can see in the chart below, they are all
pretty similar. I have owned a Chevy Bolt for over two years and have driven
the other cars on occasion, so I feel like I know this class inside and out.

Specs   Niro EV         Bolt EV         Kona EV         Leaf e-Plus
Range (miles)   239     238     258     226
Battery (kWh)   64      60      64      62
Motor Torque (ft-lbs)   291     266     291     250
Length  172.2   164     164.6   176.4
Width   71.1    69.5    70.9    70.5
Height  61.8    62.8    61.8    61.6
Wheelbase       106.3   102.4   102.4   106.3
Passenger Volume (Cu. ft.)      96.6    94.4    94.1    92.4

Kia Niro EV Drive Experience:
You get in the car, you push the power button and you DIAL into drive. Yes
DIAL. The Niro has a dial rather than a normal gear shifter. I don’t know
why, but it took a little getting used to and I’m not sure why EV
manufactures think they need to reinvent the wheel on gear shifters. BMW’s
i3 comes to mind here. The Chevy Bolt’s fake shifter isn’t perfect but at
least you intuitively know how to use it even before stepping into the car.
I eventually got used to the dial, but again, why?

Regen Paddles
Behind the steering wheel are 2 paddles that control the amount of Regen.
Clicking right means more and left means less. Every time you start the car
you are in level 2. This is somehow worse than the Chevy Bolt which forces
you to double-click down to “L” if you want strong regen.

Advice to EV makers: After the first week or so, almost everyone wants max
regen all the time. Make this the standard and require extra clicks to make
it regen less.

As for the regen, at max, it didn’t feel as strong as the Chevy Bolt, but
was more powerful than Tesla’s current regenning and I was able to do most
of my driving with one pedal.

Good, not great acceleration
Probably the biggest disappointment I had with the Niro was the off the line
acceleration. Sure it beats most ICE cars, but with a bigger battery and
motor than the Chevy Bolt, I expected another level of G forces out of the
gate. Nope, the Bolt crushes the Niro.

Instead, even in sport mode, I found the lack of acceleration to be
off-putting. It really zaps the fun out of driving an EV when it accelerates
like a budget ICE crossover. Of course my paranoid mind wonders if Kia is
throttling the acceleration to keep its other offerings relevant. I think
the Nissan Leaf might be quicker off the line (ouch).

Especially in sport mode I found highway 45-65 type acceleration to be much
better and more similar to the Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf. The Niro really
shines on the freeway, zooming around quietly and effortlessly.

Braking seems very solid for a car in this class. I had the family in the
car most of the week so no intense brake tests this time.

Handling
The Kia Niro EV is about the only budget BEV I’d feel comfortable taking
onto soft gravel and doing some light off-roading. During my time in the Bay
Area, I found some bumpy mountain dirt roads to test on. While I wasn’t
blown away by the way it handled itself, I was almost completely confident
in not getting stuck or breaking something. I would not recommend taking the
Niro into mud or ‘very’ off road. It just doesn’t have the suspension, AWD,
clearance or tires to properly navigate in real dirt. However gravel and the
odd pothole are no match for the Niro.

On the road, the Niro handles admirably for a small budget crossover. I
found less wheel slip than I would expect in my Chevy Bolt, particularly on
gravel or wet surfaces, and it also wasn’t as tight on turns on dry
surfaces. There was no winter climate to be found or tested on this trip.

Interior
The interior of the Niro really shines when compared to the Bolt, but it is
even good compared to Nissan’s Leaf and others in this class. I, of course
was given the EX premium package and it felt as nice as you could expect for
a $35,000 Kia. There are tons of buttons, some being redundant (like the
“EV” button, in an EV! What happens when it isn’t in EV mode? Is it off?).
Point is, if you like buttons for everything and even a few things that you
don’t even know what they do, this is your car.

Kia’s drive software isn’t great, but I imagine most people will be almost
exclusively using CarPlay or Android Auto for maps and music. For that it
does work well, though I did have some freezes and black screens which were
easily remedied by unplugging/plugging in my phones again.

I tried using the built-in ‘find the nearest charging spot’ software but
gave up because the Plugshare app on my phone was so much easier and more
helpful.

I would suggest some rear seat USB ports to Kia. We had to buy some extra
long USB cords for the kids in the back. There is one hidden under the arm
rest as well. There’s also a lighter port which you can use to charge an
extra device in addition to the 3 USB ports included. Only one of them is
for the console so you need to physically swap if you want to change phones
on CarPlay.

The seats are more comfortable than the Bolt and probably as comfortable as
the Nissan Leaf. One thing I love about the Bolt is getting into the higher
seats and the Niro felt almost as easy to get into and out of. Looking at
the vehicles next to each other, the Bolt still does ride higher, but you
won’t notice a difference.

The kids had no problem falling asleep in the back on the way to the airport
for our early departure:Kia Niro EV interior

Trunk space was quite nice but there’s no frunk. I was able to fit a very
large duffle suitcase and a large backpack and could have probably stuffed
some more in there. The Bolt’s trunch is surprisingly big and deep
vertically but I think the Niro is bigger overall.

The stereo rocks
The premium Harman Kardon stereo is fantastic. I’d even say slightly better
than the Premium Tesla sound system and the Bolt premium Bose system in my
experience. They really nailed this one – great separation and bass playing
off of CarPlay or even the FM tuner.

Charging with the Kia Niro EV
The car I got came with an orange Level 1 110V charger and frankly for most
people this is all you will ‘need’ on a day to day basis. Because of the
Niro’s solid efficiency, this equates to 5 miles/hour of charge out of a
normal outlet. A 12 hour overnight charge will give you at least 60 miles of
range, more than enough for the average commuter.

The Niro, as most EVs do now can accept up to 7.2kW of power (or over 11 in
3 phase Europe) on 240V outlets which will take the car from empty to full
in under 10 hours. That means if you have a 240 at the house, you wake up
with a full ‘tank’ every morning.

I want to say this loud and clear. If there are dangly plug-ins that need to
be removed every time you plug in, you’ve lost the plot. Companies like
Tesla and even Chevy where EVs aren’t an afterthought wouldn’t dare to have
these things hanging out. But here we are:

If I owned this car, I’d probably cut [the EVSE covers] off with some
scissors.

DC fast charging was a bit of a disappointment. I visited one of the few
100kW CCS combo fast chargers in California which was at the ChargePoint HQ.
Unfortunately, with the Niro’s incredible efficiency, I didn’t start with
much under 50% of the range so I only got to charge with some of the taper
already in effect.

Kia says that the Niro EV will DC fast charge over CCS combo to 80% in 75
minutes on 50kW and 60 minutes on 100kW. The reason the math doesn’t work
out there is that it never reaches 100kW and in my testing barely reached
70kW. The reality is that right now even 50kW chargers aren’t easy to find
and 100kW ones from Electrify America, Charge Point, and EVGO are just
starting to be produced. For travelling over 200 miles, you will need to do
some planning. I’d suggest Plugshare.com.

Conclusion
If I had to choose between the Bolt, Kona, Niro, and Leaf with the same
features and range, I would stick with my decision to buy the Chevy Bolt EV.
Besides being available for purchase, the Bolt is straight up fun to drive.
Driving the Niro is amusing at best, utility at worst. Also I love the
smaller footprint of the Bolt vs. the longer Niro, particularly in my tight
garage.

That said, the Niro is fantastic for the utilitarian customer it is aimed
at. It is pleasant inside, drives nicely, has very long range and very
decent power. The stereo and infotainment are great as is the ride height.
Charging options are as good as they are going to get for a non-Tesla EV.

The problem however is that both Hyundai and to a lesser extent Kia never
make enough of their EVs, nor do they market them, or sell them outside of
ZEV states. That means dealers will try to price gouge and we’ve already
heard of markups of this car that approach the $7500 federal tax credit –
which is a real shame. A lot of people would love to drive this car.

All Engine Electrical System Drivetrain Dynamic Performance Charging
Exterior Dimensions Interior Dimensions Chassis/Suspension Steering Brakes
Wheels/Tires Curb Weights GVWR Towing Capacity Energy Efficiency EX     EX
Premium ENGINE
Electric Motor  –       –
Motor Type      Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor      Permanent Magnet
Synchronous
Motor
Voltage         356V    356V
Horsepower      201 hp / 3,800-8,000 rpm (150 kW / 3,800-8,000 rpm)     201 hp /
3,800-8,000 rpm (150 kW / 3,800-8,000 rpm)
Torque  291 lb.-ft. / 0-3,600 rpm (395 N*m / 0-3,600 rpm)       291 lb.-ft. /
0-3,600 rpm (395 N*m / 0-3,600 rpm)

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
High-Voltage Battery Pack       –       –
Battery Type    Lithium Ion Polymer Battery (LIPO)      Lithium Ion Polymer
Battery (LIPO)
Battery Voltage (V)     356V    356V
Battery Capacity (Ah)   180 Ah  180 Ah
Battery Energy (kWh)    64 kWh  64 kWh
Battery Power (kW)      170 kW  170 kW
Battery Weight (lbs.)   1,008 lbs.      1,008 lbs.

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission Type       Gear Reduction Unit     Gear Reduction Unit
Final Gear Ratio (Constant)     8.206:1         8.206:1

DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE
Max. Speed (mph)        103.8 mph       103.8 mph
Acceleration Performance (sec)  –       –
0 – 62.1 mph    7.8     7.8
49.7 – 74.6 mph         5.0     5.0
Brake Performance (ft.)         –       –
62.1 – 0 mph    137 ft.         137 ft.

CHARGING
On-board charger (OBC)  7.2 kW  7.2 kW
Port locations  Behind front grille     Behind front grille
Charging time   –       –
Level 1, AC charge with in Cable Control Box (ICCB)     59 hours (120V)
59
hours (120V)
Level 2, AC charge with Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE)        9 Hours
35
Min (7.2 kW)    9 Hours 35 Min (7.2 kW)
DC fast charge with Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) to 80% charge
1 Hour 15 Min (50 kW)   1 Hour 15 Min (50 kW)
DC fast charge with Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) to 80% charge
1 Hour (100 kW)         1 Hour (100 kW)

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase (in.)         106.3 in.       106.3 in.
Length (in.)    172.2 in.       172.2 in.
Width (in.)     71.1 in.        71.1 in.
Height, without roof rails (in.)        61.4 in.        61.4 in.
Height, with roof rails (in.)   61.8 in.        61.8 in.
Track, front/rear (in.)         62.0 in. / 62.4 in.     62.0 in. / 62.4 in.
Overhang, front/rear (in.)      34.8 in. / 31.1 in.     34.8 in. / 31.1 in.
Min. ground clearance (in.)     6.1 in.         6.1 in.
Approach Angle (degree)         16.6    16.6
Departure Angle (degree)        29.0    29.0

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
Head room       –       –
Front (in.)     40.1 in.        40.1 in.
Rear (in.)      37.7 in.        37.7 in.
Leg room        –       –
Front (in.)     41.7 in.        41.7 in.
Rear (in.)      36.0 in.        36.0 in.
Shoulder room   –       –
Front (in.)     56.0 in.        56.0 in.
Rear (in.)      55.1 in.        55.1 in.
Hip room        –       –
Front (in.)     53.7 in.        53.7 in.
Rear (in.)      48.3 in.        48.3 in.
Luggage capacity, rear seats upright, with luggage under tray (SAE, cu. ft.)
18.5 cu. ft.    18.5 cu. ft.
Luggage capacity, rear seats folded, with luggage under tray (SAE, cu. ft.)
53.0 cu. ft.    53.0 cu. ft.
Luggage capacity, passenger volume (SAE, cu. ft.)       96.6 cu. ft.    96.6 cu.
ft.

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION
Front suspension        MacPherson type suspension      MacPherson type
suspension
Rear suspension         Multi-link      Multi-link

STEERING
Type / Power source     Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS)      Motor Driven
Power
Steering (MDPS)
Steering ratio  13.3:1  13.3:1
Turns, lock-to-lock     2.57    2.57
Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft.)      34.8 ft.        34.8 ft.

BRAKES
Type front/rear         Ventilated Disc / Solid Disc    Ventilated Disc / Solid
Disc
Size (in.) front/rear   12.0 in. / 11.8 in.     12.0 in. / 11.8 in.
Booster Type    Electric Booster (Regenerative Brake)   Electric Booster
(Regenerative Brake)
Regenerative braking    Motor polarity reversal         Motor polarity reversal
Parking brake type      Electric Parking Brake (EPB)    Electric Parking Brake
(EPB)

WHEELS/TIRES
Wheel size (in.)        7.0J x 17 Alloy         7.0J x 17 Alloy
Tire size       P215/55R17      P215/55R17
Spare Tire      Tire Mobility Kit (TMK)         Tire Mobility Kit (TMK)

CURB WEIGHTS
Curb Weight, min (lbs.)         3,854 lbs.      3,854 lbs.
GVWR
Gross Weight (lbs.)     4,916 lbs.      4,916 lbs.
TOWING CAPACITY
Towing Capacity         Not recommended         Not recommended

ENERGY EFFICIENCY
All Electric Range (miles)      239 miles       239 miles
MPGe    –       –
City    123     123
Highway         102     102
Combined        112     112
[© electrek.co]

+
https://insideevs.com/reviews/348539/video-kia-niro-ev-test-drive-review/
Kia Niro EV Test Drive and In-Depth Review Video
May 08, 2019  It seems just about every major and minor publication, as well
as owners and YouTubers that have driven and reviewed the Kia Niro EV are
mostly enamored ...
https://youtu.be/Mk6IRDAOwJA

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/