120v 15a outlets have two vertical flat blades. In contrast, 120v 20a
outlets turn one of those blades horizontal. You can see this in the 120v
20a outlets as they usually are built to accept both 15a and 20a plugs.

A device that has a 15a type plug (NEMA 5-15) should only draw 12a on a
continuous basis (per 80% rule for continuous loads).

This EVSE comes with a built-in 240v 20 amp plug (NEMA 6-20) that is
designed for a continuous 16 amps on 240v circuit. This might be able to
pass UL.

They also include an adapter to convert the 6-20 plug to a 5-15 plug. I
doubt this adapter would pass UL, as it could allow generic 240v equipment
to be plugged into 120v sources. Also it doesn't appear to have a way to
tell the EVSE to reduce the max current signal value to 12. However...it is
possible the EVSE is programmed to always signal 12a whenever it sees 120v.
IIRC the dual voltage capable (after mods) OEM EVSE that came with the
earlier Nissan Leaf years had this behavior (12a on 120v, 16a on 240v).

In contrast, Tesla's portable EVSEs handle the dual voltage and different
outlet amperage ratings cases by using proprietary adapters. These tell the
EVSE what kind of outlet it is being used with.