I charge my Volts for what I consider nothing.

Here in Phoenix on APS, (one of our 2 power Companies), I charge my 2 Chevy
Volts during the day.. with my solar equipped house.

Because I purchased and installed my solar before September of 2017, I am
grandfathered for 20 years at the rate plan I chose.

They have different rate plans but the one I'm on is 9 to 9 five days a week,
no holidays or any other days apply differently, 9Am to 9Pm is "on peak" and
9Pm to 9Am is "off peak".

>From May to September the rates are higher of course being somewhere around
>$0.20 per KWhr for "on peak" and $0.07 for "off peak".

My advantage is that I produce more than I use "On Peak" than I do "Off Peak"
This keeps most of my monthly bills at about the minimum of $30 a month to use
their power lines, meters and reading my meter etc, while charging 2 EV's.

The catch to this "Net Metering" is that they will buy the excess for $0.297.

They adjust it every month and any excess is banked until after the December
billing. My December bill was -$2.31.

Why should I use $0.07 "off peak" electricity rather than use electricity that
I am going to sell for less than 3 cents?

I've looked at going "off the grid" but the numbers aren't there to being any
advantage.

The hardest part was trying to figure out how to program the Volts to charge
during the day because the default in the programing is "off peak" rates are of
course at night.

Jim - Glendale, AZ
www.evalbum.com/1703