There was an editorial in the Baltimore sun written by the “Gasoline
Distributors Association” condemning subsidies for EV’s.   Three days
later, they published my response:

*From:* Robert Bruninga
*Subject:* Stop subsidizing gasoline and polution

In the piece to stop subsidizing electric vehicles(EVs) (15 July
Balto-Sun), the Petroleum Distributors Association fails to mention the 26
Billion dollars in subsidies that the fossil fuel industry receives every
year.  They are being paid to continue the status quo, further polluting
our air without penalty.  Gas cars get a free ride on the environment while
EV's protect the environment and get a free ride on the roads.

Be fair. The equitable way to fund our roads and clean air is to add a road
tax on EV's but equally, to add an equal pollution tax on gas cars to cover
the heavy cost that their continued operation is making on our environment
(Maryland's toxic air was worst of all 50 states).  Mark the fall of 2018
as the turning point as sales of fossil fuel vehicles began to decline
while sales of EV' are still growing exponentially.

With over 45 modern EV's on the market in 2019, half now have ranges over
350 miles* and more than half now cost less (with incentives) than the
average gas car.** With every vehicle manufacturer now committed to over
200 models just in the next 6 years it is time to move forward.  With good
range and low cost, EV's are now better, faster, cleaner, safer, quieter,
cheaper to buy, half the cost to operate and 10% of the cost to maintain.
There is a good EV or plug-in hybrid for almost every car need.

Before you buy another gas car, which will still be on the road in 2035,
long past the turning point in our ever worsening air quality, at least
look into an EV.  Plugin every night and have full range every morning and
never have to go find a stinky gas station again.

Bob Bruninga, PE

IEEE Committee on Transportation and Aerospace Policy

Author:  http://aprs.org/Energy-Choices.html

wb...@amsat.org

*http://aprs.org/Energy/EV/EV-ranges-color-b.pdf
**http://aprs.org/Energy/EV/EV-costs-color-c.pdf