Alan Arrison via EV wrote:
The usual waste of time and money. I'm sure the numbers are theoretical
best case scenario.

One thing they don't talk about is how much power the car takes just from sitting.

I was surprised to discover that my Prius draws about 30ma from its 12v battery continuously when parked. It's needed to power all the "always on" vampire loads, like the keyless entry, secruity system, clock, radio presets, odometer, etc. That's enough to run down a new 12v battery in 4 weeks or so -- less if the battery is old or weak.

So I installed a small PV panel under the rear window. It's wired to the 12v battery through a diode and fuse. It produces about 200ma peak. That's not enough to overcharge the battery; but it is enough to keep it charged even if the car is parked for weeks while we are on vacation.

Even if this is all the Hyundai PV panel does, that's still enough to be useful.

--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all
our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory,