From: Dan Baker via EV
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:37 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Cc: Dan Baker
Subject: [EVDL] V2G - any specs for home power generation during outages?

In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, my province Nova Scotia had over 400,000
customers without power. Our home had no power for over 27 hours. Luckily I
have lots of batteries and a generator but many homes did not have a backup
option and still 60,000 are on Day 4 without.   One gentleman ( a fellow FB
friend) used an inverter off his Chevy Volt to power his fridge and freezer:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/electric-car-hurricane-dorian-1.5274674?fbclid=IwAR29ajKp3gBsVsgdGniiMv6s9fTgtMRSMvHNoCKnMiCjhIyL8i3D-PgLex0

Not the most elegant setup but worked great none the less.  My question is,
does Vehicle to Grid have any options for home power during outages?  Would
seem to be a great opportunity for EVs, instead of buying a generator use
that money towards an EV and a V2G equipped charger.  Obviously some safety
measures would have to be put in like a bypass switch used in panel fed
generators.  Would probably be even safer than a generator as usually 1-2
people die a year in this province alone from carbon monoxide poisoning
from generators not placed in a well ventilated area.

Thanks
Dan