He would have been my favorite uncle, too :) Best of luck getting the car to work and I hope you enjoy its uniqueness !
Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Tom Wilhelm via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "Tom Wilhelm" <wilh...@gorge.net>
Sent: 28-Sep-19 9:40:48 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Roland Wiench

Hello all,
I am Roland Wiench’s nephew and I live in Hood River, Oregon.  Roland was my
favorite Uncle and we worked on many projects together in my childhood.
Roland was an electrician at an the Montana Air National Gaurd and I got to
see a lot of industrial projects as a young kid. I was his helper on wiring
my parents home.  He also taught me rigging, welding and construction. He
was always kind about my mistakes....In 2006 he came out to visit and
insisted in tidying up my circuit breaker panels before the inspector came
to sign off. The inspector was at a loss for words at the neatness and
labeling of the wires. Said he thought he was looking at an airplane
component.   As an adult, I frequently called on him  regarding wiring
questions about size, voltage drop service entrance for my house, barn, also
a 3-phase to single phase conversion of a monarch 10ee lathe, building power
supplies for amplifiers, etc.  in March 2018 Roland had a slip and fall
causing an epidural hemorrhage in his brain resulting in a non-survivable
outcome.  I sorely miss my uncle despite some of his answers that started
at the electron.

Roland willed his car to me and it is sitting in my yard. I have driven
it about a mile after I picked it up. It took me a good hour to start it as
Roland
Had told me it would be difficult to steal due to the amount of switches.
The car
sat over the winter and the 12 volt battery (not main battery pack)
discharged
and now it won’t start despite a new battery. I believe the brain (hair ball
2?) of the
system needs constant power to retain its programming.  My new shop will be
dried in this month and I hope to move the car in and sort out the system
and
get it running. I know he drove it every day rain or shine.  If it’s ok, i’d
like to ask some of you questions when the time comes about getting this car
up and running again.

Thanks so much for the kind words about Roland.

Tom Wilhelm