Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
teenager design system to eliminate blind spot caused by the A-pillar
It works by using a camera to capture, from the driver's point of view,
what would be blocked by the pillar. Then, that image is projected onto
the pillar itself, effectively making the pillar transparent.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/blind-spots-science-project.html

It's a clever idea; but I wonder how practical it would be. It has to know exactly where your eye is, to position the image correctly. Otherwise, the image will be shifted out of position, showing you a spot that you could already see through the glass and *not* showing you what is really behind the pillar.

There are some pretty strong clear plastics (lexan etc.) I wonder if the A pillar could simply be made of a transparent plastic?

Or, just make it from a strong enough material so it can be much smaller. I remember cars of old with A-pillars so small you could wrap your hand around it and the fingers would touch.

Side question: Why has it become fashionable to reduce the size of windows as much as possible (creating huge pillars and reducing visibility), and then painting an inch or more of the edges black?

Lee Hart

--
There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows
about. It's very serious, and interferes completely with your work. The