I agree, using a pickup truck for hauling around supplies and tools doesn't
make sense in many cases. Exposed to the weather, theft, and higher to lift
things in and out.

I have a 20 year old minivan which I use for hauling. I can get 10' lumber in
it and close the back. 16' is fine except on the freeway. Garbage, tools,
everything else, usually is easy to get in and out.

If I have a lot of loose or heavy debris, then I need a garbage sled, which is
delivered and picked up. Similar for landscape materials such as fill or
compost, which I must have delivered.

But, it's powered by gas. It would be so nice to have an EV minivan. So far,
nothing appropriate is on the market with enough range. I keep salivating on
the idea of converting it, but I think it's really not practical. But, just in
case some one has a good argument, here are some basic requirements

- 250 mile range in 70F weather (need it for hiking and other backcountry,
where no fast charging is available for huge distances)
- must climb a 20% grade at 10mph
- must climb a 7% grade at 50mph (but I really don't care if it is sluggish)
- still need a hauling capacity of about 1000 pounds and pretty much all the
interior space
- need 6-7" ground clearance (for forest service roads)

Another option would be to get a new EV SUV with adequate range for backcountry
excursions and convert the minivan for local trips with, maybe, 40-50 mile
range. Or, not convert it. But, one of my goals is to be a one-car family, and
use car share on the occasions when we need two.

Peri