Profit is a straw man. Just look at Netflix. Musk's goal is making as many
EVs as possible, he would go broke doing it, sell his house and start over
if it came to that. Not normal, but a recipe for success. It is a shame he
ever went public, but maybe it made sense at the time. SpaceX-  it was
clear that the public equity model would never work.

Applying the analysis of profit to companies like Netflix and Tesla is just
poor thinking. It requires different metrics, because the goal is not to
make profit, but to expand. Fast.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:51 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <
ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 10 May 2020 at 9:36, Michael Ross via EV wrote:
>
> > I am betting his approach is to try to forge ahead and at the same time
> > try to make it safe for his employees.
>
> You may know something that I don't, but that's not a bet I'd make.  Tesla
> doesn't run a safe shop.  From 2014 to 2018, they had 3 times as many OSHA
> violations as Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Kia, and Mercedes all put together.
>
> That, and his stressful work culture, suggests to me that Musk considers
> his
> assembly workers disposable.  That seems literally true now that he's hot
> get them back to work and passing around a fatal disease.
>
> > Tantrum? That is just a biased, provocative, and unhelpful way to view
> > it.
>
> How else would you describe Musk's twitter-fits?  He sounds like a
> petulant
> 4th-grader: if California won't play his way, he's going to take his toys
> and go home to Texas.
>
> That's going to be a pretty expensive snit, if he carries it out.  I don't
> see how Tesla can afford it.
>
> They can't seem to stay profitable, and their main market, the US, is
> turning EV-unfriendly.  Their US tax credit is done. A lot of their
> revenue
> comes from other automakers buying their emissions credits.  What happens
> as
> EU and Asian automakers increase their own EV production, and have less
> need
> for those credits?  They seem to be betting on China, and that might be
> smart, but they haven't made much sales headway in Europe.
>
> Don't get me wrong here.  Musk is a genius and his company designs and
> builds outstanding vehicles that happen to be EVs.  But his erratic
> behavior
> is driving off his executive talent and giving investors headaches.
>
> More than that, it's having an effect on folks likely to buy EVs -
> intelligent, educated tech people.  Over the years I've watched as their
> comments about Musk and Tesla have gone from admiring and interested to
> appalled and repelled. That's not the way you make your company look like
> good corporate citizen.
>
> If Musk wants to reverse that trend, I think he needs to chill a little,
> back off the ranting, and demonstrate more concern for his employees.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land