And Toyota does it again.  Promotes hydrogen even when it makes no sense!
Someone sent me this article.

https://www.h2-view.com/story/energy-observer-unprecedented-levels-of-performance-on-first-transatlantic-passage/

But this article caused me to do some digging, because I was very
suspicious of their claims of hydrogen power.

Making one’s own hydrogen from water is a very inefficient process.  And
sure enough, when I looked it up, the ship can only make hydrogen when it
is pierside because it needs MORE power than all of its solar panels just
to make hydrogen (from the grid).

And as everyone (except Toyota and Honda) know, hydrogen is a boondoggle
because there is no source of hydrogen on earth other than electrolysis
from water (which is grossly inefficient use of electricity) when the
electricity can be better used to power the ship or car in the first
place.  Right now most hydrogen comes from Natural gas which just throws
more carbon into the air making it one of the dirty fossil fuels we are
trying to get away from..

Yes, hydrogen made sense 10 years ago when it was more cost effective than
batteries.  But that was before electric cars drove the price of batteries
down ten-to-one!  Now it is just a boondoggle for some companies to take
advantage of (ten year old policy) and scam the government for dollars.
It’s a dead end.

In the future, when there is so much solar and wind to provide 100% of our
needs, then there will of course be days of excess power and then it makes
sense to use that excess power to make hydrogen in bulk.  And then not try
to figure out how to distribute it to every car or boat tank, but to simply
use the hydrogen in bulk to make electricity when the solar and winds are
less.

Thanks for the article.  I t is good background material.  I cant wait to
retire and eventually get back to making my own solar boat.

Bob