There are more than a couple parallels to Howard Hughes.

And, yes, goodwill is being unnecessarily lost, partially to things done or
said by the CEO himself, and partially by things the company as a whole
does or does not do in actions and communication. Also, the CEO's Twitter
account is, or at least at one time per a document from 2013 was,
considered to be an official communication channel for Tesla.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-12-10/elon-musk-tweets-tesla

These issues are becoming more acute as Tesla goes further into the mass
market and away from the niche of early adopters. Early adopters may be
more forgiving of quirkiness of company leadership and products in exchange
for access to early products. Lost goodwill gives additional opportunities
to other companies to take mindshare and market share.