I looked into nextdoor years go when I started getting flyers for it.
I know that some people like it, but I really didn't like that fact that in
order to join you had to provide the email addresses of all your family and
friends.  That made me really suspicious of it.
There is a large neighborhood near me that was started but never finished.  It
has paved roads, but no houses.
So I created a bunch of throw away email addresses and picked a fake address in
the middle of this neighborhood and joined nextdoor.
I was not that surprised to see all the 'lost dog' and 'babysitter wanted' ads
in the middle of the non-existent neighborhood.

Later on I saw a bunch of articles about vicious online attacks from people
using it.

I don't know, maybe they've cleaned up their act, but I'm no longer interested.