From: "Lee Hart via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Lee Hart" <leeah...@earthlink.net>
Sent: 16-Jun-20 2:26:46 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] George's farm truck/van EV project

Willie via EV wrote:
On 6/16/20 3:12 PM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
Is it too late to change your design a bit ? If you can get one of the
dimensions 48" or more, then it is more useful in construction, for
hauling plywood, drywall, and other sheet items.

Perhaps they've made provision for loading 4'x8' sheets
tilted/diagonally?  Or, hanging over the edge.

This touches on a pet peeve of mine as well. I've had trucks or vans for my whole adult life, and
have frequently hauled heavy or dirty stuff and 4'x8' sheets of material in them. That's what
"trucks" are for! It was pretty much a "given" that you had to be able to get a
4'x8' sheet in them.

But over the years, the "trucks" have become cars with bodies that only look
like trucks. The size and weight of the vehicle keeps getting bigger, but its usefulness
as a truck gets worse and worse.

None of the minivans have a 48" wide floor, nor a 48" high ceiling. None of the
small pickups can carry a 4'x8' sheet without both the length *and* width hanging out.
Try to haul a sheet of drywall propped up on a wheel well and it will break on the first
pothole. Yet the vehicles are huge, and weigh 5000 lbs.

Gary, maybe you can design it with a flat floor *above* the wheels? With small
tires, the floor would still be much lower than the floor of any current pickup
truck. You don't need the fashionable monster wheels that are so popular today.

Lee Hart

-- If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
 - something to do
 - something to look forward to
 - someone to love
 - someone to take good care of