Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
OEMs were never “shamed” into bringing EVs into U.S.. Regulations, and
the cost of NOT doing so did it.

Willie via EV wrote:> Well, "the cost of NOT doing so" is, at least in part, from the threat
of losing their ICE market.  That, due to Tesla success in developing
the EV market.  I would consider that "shamed" into getting into the USA
EV market.

I certainly saw the shaming in the automotive press. Before Tesla, EVs were considered slow, boring "golf carts". Totally uncool! The auto magazines made fun of them. Pundits said EVs could never sell, never make money without mandates.

Then along comes Tesla. They proved the critics wrong. "EVs are fast! EVs are fun! EVs have cool features that no ICE has! I want one!" They were beating the ICEs at their own game, and taking the top ratings in reviews.

The auto companies certainly felt it. And they reacted to it. They feel they are losing business to Tesla. They have to get "back in the game", and produce really good EVs... or Tesla is going to walk all over them.

Lee Hart
--
If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
 - something to do