Jay Summet via EV wrote:
If you want the fancy expensive in-wheel bolt-on kit...

Or, if you're the DIY type (or cheap), it's mighty easy to make an e-bike for under $100.

For 20 years, I did school EV projects with 4th-6th grade kids. We called our group BEST (Bridging Engineering Science and Teaching). We encouraged the kids to *invent* their own solutions for building electric vehicles.

Almost all of their solutions used "found" materials, scrap lumber, broken furniture, metal shelving, discarded bicycle and scooter parts, etc. And a *lot* of imagination and creativity!

Friction drives to a bike tire were common. Typically a scooter or auto fan blower motor; with a skateboard wheel, doorknob, or piece of a wooden shovel handle attached to the motor, and rubbing on the bike tire. The weight of the motor or bungee cords determined the pressure. The motor was usually hinged to ride up and down on the tire as it rotated.

Another common strategy was to rig something to move the bike's chain or pedal crank. For example, a car windshield wiper motor, with a bike's rear wheel sprocket JB-welded to it, which drove the chain. The sprocket's free-wheel made it so you could pedal while the motor was off, or you could "pretend" to pedal when the motor was on and doing all the work.

Then there were the *really* creative ones: One team used propellers to push their "car". One took the tire off a wide rim, installed two tires (one on each side of the rim), and ran a big v-belt between them to a small pulley on the motor. One put the back half of an electric scooter on a board, and hinged it to hold it behind the bike, so it "pushed" the bike along. It could be lifted with a rope when not in use.

Thinking outside the box,
Lee Hart

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery