I think Toyota is seriously stodgy, but it is not stupid to go with a
proven winner. They have a selling point about range and availability of
refueling options, for now at least. They are choosing to follow
cultural norms that are passing, but not past. It is probably good
business, or at least they can make enough of a case for what they do
internally. I think it is risky for them, but not very and not for a
decade. A half million annually, cars from Tesla, and a fraction more from
everyone else still doesn't scratch the surface.

Total agreement on the battery side. The best engineering of batteries is
at Tesla. That is who to watch, and who to invest in.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 4:43 PM EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Sigh.  I think it's Lee Hart who classifies phonies as "liars, damned
> liars,
> and battery salesmen."
>
> It's going to be a LONG time before a flouride ion battery is in our EVs,
> if
> it ever happens at all.
>
> https://www.batterypoweronline.com/news/what-the-fluoride-ion-battery-
> breakthrough-really-means/
> <https://www.batterypoweronline.com/news/what-the-fluoride-ion-battery-breakthrough-really-means/>
>
> https://v.gd/tmkxtN
>
> I'm reminded a little of the sodium sulfur battery that Ford touted in the
> late 1960s.
>
> So Toyota is working on it.  That's not much of an endorsement.  From what
> can see, Toyota still doesn't want to make real EVs; they just want to
> keep
> building their hybrids until they're selling 20 of them per year.  It's no
> surprise that they keep wasting their R&D time and money on fuel cells and
> dead end woo-woo batteries.  Of course Kyoto University is happy to accept
> some of that money.
>
> David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
>
> To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
> offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land
(919) 901-2805 Cell and Text