On Thu, Aug 27, 2020, 22:55 EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2020 at 19:23, Offgrid Systems via EV wrote:
>
> > Anytime you want a 100A circuit (or larger) for your house or
> > outbuilding. Pretty common actually, since every house and most
> > buildings have a service entrance.
>
> I'm surprised to hear you claim paralleled conductors for increased
> current
> capacity are "pretty common" in home wirng.

I think the 'pretty common' referred to whether 1/0 wire is used in homes,
not whether parallel conductor wiring is used. 1/0 is is common for high
amperage circuits. Parallel wiring methods are unusual. More info below.

I've never seen them in home
> wiring, period.  Not in  service feeds, not in subfeeds, not anywhere.
> Not
> even in homes wired by clueless unlicensed amateurs, and you never know
> what
> those folks will do.
>
> However, I've read that they're sometimes used in commercial and
> industrial
> buildings.
>
> As Mr Sharkey said, the NEC is restrictive on how they can be used in
> wiring, regardless of where.
>
> For a hobbyist EV, though, I don't see why you can't use them as you see
> fit.

Tesla uses, or at least has used, parallel conductors inside of their
portable EVSE cables to keep them smaller and more flexible. Other EVSE
handle/cable assemblies may also use similar parallel wire. AFAIK, this is
allowed in part because it is inside an appliance rather than in permanent
house wiring (like inside a wall). I don't think the NEC has jurisdiction
over wiring inside appliances. Roughly speaking, NEC rules start at the
utility meter and end at the wall outlet.

Parallel 1/0 AL wiring can be useful at home for providing 200 amp service
to additional structures. Typically a 200 amp rated run would use 4x 4/0
AL THWN-2 wire, which has an NEC ampacity rating of 205 amps.

Another option is to use 7x 1/0 AL THWN-2 which will fit in a 2" PVC
conduit (according to fill calculators). The ground wire may be allowed to
be smaller, but for simplicity it can be identical to the rest. 1/0 AL
THWN-2 wire ampacity is 135 amps per conductor. 2x 135 = 270 amps. But
there is a catch: NEC rules for current carrying conductors force a
derating to 80% when there are 4-6 CCCs in a single conduit. 270 x 0.8 =
216 amps after derating.

Things to note with 7x 1/0 AL vs 4x 4/0 AL:

1.) 7x 1/0 AL has a higher ampacity, both before and after derating. The
circular area is the same, as these 2 sizes are exactly 3 sizes apart so
resistance is the same. 2x smaller wire has more exterior surface area than
1x larger wire which allows for better heat dissipation.

2.) 1/0 AL has a mechanical flexibility advantage over 4/0 AL. 4/0 is
stiffer. This may make a difference in some wire pulling situations.

3.) 7x 1/0 AL has a usage flexibility advantage. It can be used as 1 big
200 amp circuit, or be split into 2 separate 100 amp circuits if needs
change (say to separate solar production on a remote building from
consumption at that building).

4.) 7x 1/0 AL as a single circuit offers partial redundancy as L1, L2, and
N are each carried by 2 wires. Although no single 1/0 wire can carry a
fully subscribed 200 amp load, each wire can carry about 2/3 of the max
load. This is still enough capacity to be useful in the situation that some
wires somehow end up damaged. With 4x 4/0, if you lose the L1 or L2 wire,
you will only have 120v available at the far end (unless you can repurpose
the ground conductor and change the remote service to a 3-wire service).

5.) Terminating parallel conductors can be tricky. Home electrical
equipment usually has lugs designed for one conductor. Adding a second
conductor landing point is not easy. These kind of parts aren't easy to
find. Best option I know of are multiport insulated terminal lugs. Lugs
with at least 3 ports like the Ilsco or Polaris  IPL/IPLD can be used to
convert each set of parallel conductors to a short single 4/0 for
termination. These lugs can be pricey.

6.) Teeing off of parallel conductors requires connecting to both paralled
conductors at the tee point. Pass-through/dual sided entry multiport lugs
can be used if they have a minimum of 3 ports (2 pass-through, 1 branch).
Single entry lugs will need at least 5 ports (2 in, 2 out, 1 branch). Add
another port if the branch is also going to use parallel conductors. 6 port
lugs can cover all the scenarios above but can be unwieldy. Pass-through/dual
sided entry lugs offer a lot of wire placement flexibility.

The above is based on experience. I had not seen any prior examples but I
did my NEC homework. I had the 7x 1/0 method reviewed by a licensed
electrician, and inspected and approved by the state electrical inspector.
I'd probably do it the same way if I did it again, particularly for the
mechanical and usage flexibility benefits, and inherent redundancy.