Yes, I think you're right about what they meant: 16% improvement at the pack level, and 5x increase at the cell level, though that's kind of irrelevant. I don't think there's any change in the percent of wasted space based on cell size (I'm guessing, I didn't do any math). So, I presume the 16% comes from less packaging.

Peri

<< Want to know about the effects of leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

------ Original Message ------
From: "Haudy Kazemi" <kaze0...@umn.edu>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 23-Sep-20 9:58:42 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] tesla battery fog

Each cell is bigger, so more energy can be stored in each cell, but pack space in vehicle remains the same, so number of cells goes down. Some manufacturers have been use large prismatic cell formats from the start. Bigger cells don't directly give increased range. Assuming other factors are equal, more active cell material in a pack gives more range.

Effectively, Tesla is migrating from laptop type small format cylindrical cells (18650 in MS and MX) to larger format cells (21700 in Model 3/Y) to even larger 46800s (guessing for Roadster 2.0, Semi, Cybertruck).

Fewer, larger, cells can allow for better space utilization efficiency as less volume is used for cases and dead space between cells. Cooling capacity may suffer.

Range improves as a result of better space utilization efficiency, lower weight from more efficient packing, and also cell energy density improvements.