Your comment about unions is an important one.  For the workers in Southern
California ports, which import 40% of the goods used in the U.S., this *is*
indeed an important issue.

Be suspicious of anyone here telling you otherwise - some here just make things
up and then post.

I sometimes work with terminal operators, and sometimes even the smallest thing
to many of us, like a small change in a job responsibility, or deciding *who*
does the job, can be a big deal. It sometimes even impacts which union is
involved. This can be a challenge with using an electric vehicle versus a
diesel one, as an electric one can require a change in operations. Sometimes
electrifying through the use of hydrogen fuel cell hybrids rather than pure
battery can be much simpler as you can design the operation to match exactly
the existing operation. Any issues can and are being worked out, but ANY change
can be a big deal.

Completely restructuring a terminal to all-electrification proved to be a major
challenge to one terminal.

For the exact reasons you identified.

Ultimately, It got dealt with, and agreements were reached with the unions, but
the challenges involved were great.

When it comes to the big rig drivers, my understanding is that this is a
completely different animal. I know a little bit less about this, but can tell
you that a major percentage (maybe even most)  is done by drivers who are
actually independent contractors rather than union. However, this area has been
undergoing legal and regulatory changes recently.

I know that some of the above goes beyond the limited scope of your comment,
but I included it to provide the broader context in which this should be viewed.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone