On 8/25/21 3:57 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
Do they price differently in different markets? Or does this have to do with
price of gasoline?

I think it is not tied to either local electric rates or gasoline/diesel prices.  I believe the Tesla price is a nation wide target.  In some jurisdictions it is prohibited to charge for unit energy; that's why some areas use connection time.

Tesla has pledged to not attempt to make SuperCharging a profit center.  And they seem to be honoring that pledge.  3X local electricity rate is VERY modest considering the value of the fast charging hardware.  By design, that $.28/kwh looks generally cheap compared to gasoline even though it is three times the charge at home cost.  Charge at home is $.01-$.03/mile.  SuperCharging, more like $.10/mile.  I believe ICE cars pay more like $.15-$.25/mile for fuel and without a charge at home option.

I haven't paid for SuperCharging in years but I've heard that Texas now allows unit energy sales.  Texas SuperCharging used to be billed by connection time period.

I am surprised by the cost of not SuperCharge fast charging. Likely MORE than the cost of gasoline.