For just a few batteries, I'd look at what the Radio Control guys use.    I
think they have built in BMS and some are programmable.Being as you are only
going to have 4 (for 12 volt trolling), I think you could get a complete
solution cheap.    I think they use differentterminology like "4S" for 4 in
series.

Larry

p.s.   From experience.   Get a 50amp or above trolling motor.    Small ones
are "okay" in light winds, but if you've got to
buck a 20mph wind, you'd be much happier with a larger one when it's blowing.

yes it's ev blasphemy but I'd also look at a metal pair of oarlocks and
moderately decent 2-part oars.     Always good to have several power sourcesif
you get stuck in a shipping channel with no wind.      You don't have to do
anything fancy with a sliding seat.  You can row standing up or sitting on a
cooler or anything temporary.       It's a "LOT" better than a canoe paddle.
You may find it's even better than thetrolling motor as you can save the
electricity for lights and radio and gps.     Expect only about 2 knots rowing.

    On Thursday, October 7, 2021, 2:57:46 PM PDT, steve sawtelle via EV