On 18 Feb 2022 at 9:07, jim--- via EV wrote:

> Unfortunately, that link requires an account to read.

It's working for me, and I don't have an account.  Here you go.

I wouldn't want to speculate on how many, if any, are EVs.  But AFAIK the
only EV that Volkswagen currently offers in the US is the ID4, and the story
implies that the shipment is heavy on high-dollar vehicles (Porsches and
Bentleys).

===

Ship Carrying 1,100 Porsches and Other Luxury Cars Is Burning and Adrift

A fire broke out Wednesday morning in the cargo hold of the ship, which
departed from Emden, Germany, on Feb. 10 and was due to arrive in
Davisville, R.I., on Wednesday.

By Vimal Patel
Feb. 17, 2022

A mammoth cargo ship believed to be carrying thousands of vehicles including
1,100 Porsches was on fire and drifting off the coast of the Azores on
Thursday after its 22 crew members were rescued from the vessel.

The fire broke out on Wednesday morning in the cargo hold of the ship,
called the Felicity Ace, which had departed from Emden, Germany, on Feb. 10
and was scheduled to arrive in Davisville, R.I., on Wednesday, according to
a ship tracking website. The ship was about 200 miles from Terceira Island
in the Azores, the Portuguese island territory, when Portuguese forces moved
in on Wednesday to evacuate the crew.

No rescuers or crew members were injured in the "highly skilled and
physically demanding" operation, which included a helicopter that whisked
the crew members to the nearby Portuguese island of Faial, according to the
authorities.

It was unclear how much of the 650-foot, 60,000-ton cargo ship´s inventory
was lost in the fire and how the authorities would tend to the stricken
ship. The shipping company could not immediately be reached.

The Drive, an automotive website, reported that the Volkswagen Group
estimated nearly 4,000 vehicles were on board, including 189 Bentleys.
Emails sent to the Volkswagen Group were not immediately answered.

The fire comes as showrooms across the country are trying to meet consumer
demand amid supply-chain problems caused partly by the pandemic. Low
interest rates, higher savings rates and government stimulus payments have
increased demand, while automakers have struggled to weather a shortage of
computer chips.

Matt Farah, a car enthusiast and editor of The Smoking Tire, had been
waiting for his 2022 frozen-berry metallic Boxster Spyder, with a retail
price of about $123,000 and modified to his precise specifications, since
August. "The best sports car of all time, hands down," he wrote.

He received disappointing news on Wednesday, he said: "I just got a call
from my dealer. My car is now adrift, possibly on fire, in the middle of the
ocean."

In a statement on Thursday, Mr. Farah said that a Porsche representative
confirmed that his car was on the boat and apologized for the inconvenience.
"That was yesterday, and I have not heard any updates since," he said. "I´m
glad no one was hurt in the fire and everyone is safe, which is the most
important thing. I´m sure that whatever happens going forward, Porsche will
do right by their customers."

In a statement on Thursday evening, a spokeswoman for Porsche Cars North
America said that 1,100 of the company´s cars were on board but that the
fate of the vehicles was unknown. She encouraged customers worried about
their car to contact their dealer.  "Our immediate thoughts are of relief
that the 22 crew members of the merchant ship Felicity Ace are safe and
well," the statement said.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my