Exactly. I couldn't understand the source article but I did see the sentence about 10^3 improvement for one of the substrates. I have no idea how that will translate to overall efficiency gains. If we were to "only" double the efficiency, that would be phenomenal.

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

------ Original Message ------
From: "Haudy Kazemi via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Haudy Kazemi" <kaze0...@umn.edu>; dar...@econogics.com
Sent: 28-Jun-22 19:14:16
Subject: Re: [EVDL] 1000 x solar break through. (was EV Digest, Vol 116, Issue 13)

At the cell or module level, these findings won't (can't) make such a large
improvement to output. But certainly there are sub-cell fine tuning
opportunities to improve overall performance. And stacking improvements
helps get performance ever closer to the theoretical maximum. (A computer
analogy is a 10x faster CPU doesn't mean you have a 10x faster web browsing
experience, because a that experience is the sum of many many
interdependent subsystems.)

Examples (not necessarily for this particular finding):

-reduce the amount of material needed to create a cell with a particular
power output

-improve sensitivity to certain parts of the EM spectrum while allowing
other frequencies to pass through the cell

-improve efficiency under lower light intensity conditions (lower internal
resistance)(particularly helpful for using solar in suboptimal orientations
or lighting conditions)

-improve shading behavior

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022, 20:49 Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>