Why do we start with an ICE roller and convert it to EV?  Why don't we start by machining some wheels on the lathe, some square tubing for frame rails, start hand laying fiberglass for a body..

It's almost always easier (faster/cheaper) to start with even a flawed initial implementation than to build something from total scratch.

Especially if part of your aura is about saving the planet.

At least, that's why I would've bought an existing car company and leveraged it into something bigger/better rather than starting from zero.