Barry Oppenheim via EV wrote:
I have three 6V deep cycle batteries, each with a presumed bad cell
(voltage ~4.4V charged).  Can I combine them into one 12V battery and
charge with a 12V charger?

If you're desperate, here's an old trick from my grandpa. Drive a few big screws into the bad cell to short its plates together. It obviously turns a 6V battery into a 4v battery, but as you say, three 4v batteries in series still gives you 12v.

If it's a flooded battery, drain the acid out so the screw won't corrode, and drive the screws in via the vent hole.

If it's an AGM, you have to drive them through the case. It's likely to leak, and the acid inside will slowly corrode the screws away; so it's only good as a temporary emergency measure.

Lee Hart

--
A bell's not a bell 'til you ring it.
A song's not a song 'til you sing it.